About the Project
About the Project
Project leader: Barbara Belfi
The HBO Monitor in a nutshell
The HBO Monitor is an annual survey of recent graduates of Dutch Universities of Applied Sciences (in Dutch: hogescholen), conducted since the early nineties. It provides a detailed overview of the situation encountered by graduates after leaving education and entering the labour market ,and of postgraduate life in general. It also sheds light on the extent to which HBO institutions adequately prepare students for the labour market. The survey provides a wealth of information, for example on how graduates look back on various aspects of their study programme, how employable they are, which jobs they fulfil and which skills they possess and use in performing those jobs. For graduates of HBO Fine Arts institutions a specific Fine Arts Monitor (in Dutch: the Kunsten Monitor) has been developed.
Collecting important data
The HBO Monitor provides useful information for a wide range of users. Secondary school students can use the results to help them choose a HBO programme that is right for them: what are the employment prospects for graduates of each programme, and what kinds of jobs can one expect to find after graduation? The Universities gain a rich view of the situation of their graduates: how smooth was the transition to the world of work, and how do they look back on their study programme? The HBO Monitor also provides invaluable information for policy makers and other stakeholders: how well does higher vocational education match the requirements of the Dutch labour market?
Conducting the survey
To collect the data for the HBO Monitor, graduates are asked to fill out a questionnaire around one and a half years after their graduation. Approximately 90% of all Dutch Universities of Applied Sciences participate in the survey. The HBO Monitor is conducted by the Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA) and DESAN Research Solutions, under the support and guidance of the Netherlands Association of Universities of Applied.
Content of the HBO Monitor
The questionnaire addresses the following main themes:
- The alignment to labour market needs, and the preparation for labour market entry.
- Success in the labour market in terms of employability, earnings, job security and job quality.
- Satisfaction with the study programme in general, as well as more specifically in terms of aspects such as the curriculum, assessment methods and teaching staff.
- Van startende kunstenaar tot gevorderde: De loopbaanontwikkeling van kunstenaars in de eerste vijf jaren na afstuderen
- Van starter tot gevorderde. De loopbaanontwikkeling van hbo’ers in de eerste vijf jaren na afstuderen
- Wat verwachten werkgevers van HBO afgestudeerden?
For more information on the HBO-Monitor, go to http://www.hbomonitor.nl/nl